Thursday, May 03, 2007

Love is...


a happy marriage.

Within a month of dating my husband, I knew I would marry him. Twelve years ago this coming Sunday, I did just that, on a very stormy day in a beautiful candlelit ceremony. Our vows were very traditional- for better for worse, in sickness and in health, 'till death do us part.

Shortly after our first anniversary, he went back to school in pursuit of admission to medical school & all that that entails. We committed to it together. At varying times it's been good, it's been interesting, and it's been dowright awful- but never has it been boring. During his internship year, there were times we were held together by a thread, but there was never a doubt it was there. As we look to a future in which the fruits of our many years of labor at this process are soon to pay off, we go together.

On our honeymoon, a waiter guessed we were newly married by our telltale shiny rings. It's so interesting looking at our rings now. Cleaned up, they're still shiny, but show the wear and tear of life- life shared with one you love.

Happy Love Thursday!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Holland we make a big party for 12 1/2 years of marriage! You are close to the big moment:) Wish you too happiness!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I needed that...times are a bit challenging right now - not for our marraige, but in keeping our youngest safe from the boogey-man in the form of a neural tube defect. I have to admit that I am a bit glassy-eyed sitting here reading this. I wish I were home to talk with you, hold you & play with our girls. But, I am stuck here at work.

Still, your blog entry makes that so much more tolerable. As I have said many times...times when you were worried that you & Dillon & now Corryn were the source of my stress...you guys, especially you, were what has kept me sane & in touch with my 'human side' as my medical education & training did everything it could to program & beat those very characteristics out of me. Over the last...sheesh...11+ years, I have seen many others succumb & morph into feeling "entitled" as a doc. Through your love & support, I have been fortunate in being able to retain the original 'me' that went into this game.

Yeah, it has been very long, challenging, at times downright awful, but never boring - just as I promised life would be with me. However, I can honestly say - even at the worst of time - I have never regretted asking you to marry me & I look forward to the next however many years we have to spend with one another. There is no doubt, we were & are soulmates - as corny as that may sound.


Love,


Dave

bonggamom said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! I love the photos of your beautiful rings.

veganbaby said...

Awww! Happy Anniversary guys! Happy Love Thursday!

Heather said...

Happy anniversary! May there be many more happy years together.