Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tough transitions

I am not Superwoman. I am not Supermom or Superwife. I'm not Super anything for that matter, except perhaps Super tired at times. I'll confess that I often don't feel like I have the energy to get us through this transition to a new life. I have trouble with it myself- the uprooting, the having everything in disarray for a period of weeks, having to make all new friends, having to search to find all your regular foods at the grocery store. I know, poor me, so many have it so much worse- and they do. But not acknowledging that this is difficult for me doesn't make me feel anymore empathetic to others'. On top of all, I have a 5 year old that has trouble with change.

There have been so many meltdowns over such small things as of late. She has taken to yelling "NO!" at Corryn a thousand times a day. She declares "Leave me ALONE!" in one breath, then falls apart when you do- but gets more angry when you don't. Much crying, much screaming, much clinging. I just feel smothered sometimes.

How to help her through this? She brings up questions about the move occasionally- will we take her toys, why can't we just move the house- and we talk about them, but I know there's no way to completely prepare her for all this and how utter unsettling it can feel.

2 comments:

veganbaby said...

Hugs. Sorry. It is a long journey ahead. Desi still cries for NH and we weren't even there that long. She never cried for Texas.

Unknown said...

{{{ HUGS }}}

I HATE moving. Hate hate hate hate hate it. And it is so much harder with kids, when you have to get yourself prepared, kids prepared, take care of the 5,000 logistical moving details, and still make sure there is food, play, love, reassurance.

There were times when I just wanted to crawl in bed, pull blanket over my head and wake up when the move was over.

Didn't quite work that way.

I think just acknowledging that this is hard, and that you are doing the best you can is good.

Even if things aren't always perfect, you all will be fine in the end!

Karen