Saturday, July 26, 2008

It's getting close and I don't want to say goodbye

I'm really sad about leaving today. It's hitting me how close it is. I'm truly excited about what's ahead. But I'm also truly sad about what I'm leaving, at least at this time of year. If this were January and we were still facing months of winter, this would be easier, but leaving friends would still be so, so difficult. The friends I made here helped get me through what I imagine we'll look back on as a tough 5 years. We're a long way from family. Dave worked a lot. Really, really a lot. While Dillon was 3 months old when we got here, this is where I really became a parent.

I took a walk this morning, Corryn in the stroller, Dave and Dillon still home sleeping. I got a chance to take some pictures. This is one of my favorite spots- one that we've walked to many times. I find it to be an amazingly peaceful place.
Great Brook

I stopped at my church where there is a marble bench behind the church and sat for a little while, crying a little, thankful for the opportunity to not have to be strong for Dillon's sake. I wanted to soak in as much as I could. I want to remember all the things I've come to love here. We're going from a yard in which there is nothing but shade to a yard in a rental house with nothing but a few ornamental trees. I'm going to miss the trees. We saw a deer staring at us from the woods behind the house the other day, the middle of the afternoon. Our neighbors called the other night to tell us there was a fox in their backyard. I'm going to miss the wildlife.

Birdhouse

I really don't regret the decision to move to the Midwest. It's a great move for us with a lot positive going for it. Yes, we can come back and visit- and will. But right now, I'm sad really dread saying goodbye.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's a sad time for you. You have been through a lot and have grown a lot with those friends and I know it will be hard to leave them. My heart aches for you!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Know that you can do it! I just moved with my hubby and two girls (7 and 2) to the midwest from FL. (We are originally from MA). My younger had tethered cord surgery in Miami Ch Hosp. at 14 mo old. We have just found a neurosurgeon here in the Chicago area to do follow up. (also incidental finding like your child's) The people are so friendly here in the Midwest and there is so much to do compared to southwest FL where the girls were born. You will make friends so quickly because of your kids, too. I enjoyed reading your blog. What a geat way to keep friends close. I live so far form relatives in MA and friends from FL and would love to start a blog myself. Hope your move goes smoothly. One item off the checklist at a time.
Lynne

Wendy said...

Lynne-

Oh my goodness- we had to keep Corryn horrizontal for 48 hours after her surgery. Easy enough in a 5 month old- I can't imagine doing it with a toddler!

Thanks for the comments. I really do love the Midwest & you're right, the people are really friendly. We won't be too far from Chicago, so please share some of your favorite parts of it!

Wendy