Thursday, September 25, 2008

Settling in

D: When will it start to feel like home here?
W: (Knowing that she wants to see a date on the calendar) Well, honey, it's hard to say. It's really something that happens slowly over some time, not really like one thing happens that suddenly makes it home. Does it still not feel like home here to you?
D: No. I miss our old house and I miss my friends in New Hampshire.

Me too. Well, not really the house, just the trees. I told her it takes me about a year to feel settled in a new place. Of course, she doesn't know how long that is and it probably won't take her that long. We're getting there, making friends, learning our way around. But the excitement of newness is wearing off for her, so the difficulty of starting all over is starting to hit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

{{ HUGS }}

It usually takes me a few years to really feel 'settled' somewhere. Although it's not like things are bad up till then, it just doesn't feel 'perfect' yet

Can always come visit here this winter and help me shovel my driveway ^^

Karen